Newholm with Dunsley, North Riding of Yorkshire
Newholm-with-Dunsley, a township in Whitby parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 2¼ miles W of Whitby. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Whitby. It comprises the village of East Row, and the hamlets of Straggleton and Raithwaite. Acreage, 2196 of land and 88 of foreshore; population, 377. A maritime fort was built here by the Emperor Justinian, and a Roman road called Wade's Causeway went thence to Malton. The Danes, with a numerous force, landed here in 867. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Newholm, and service is conducted in the school-room at Dunsley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newholm with Dunsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newholm, with Dunsley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: