Newby Wiske, North Riding of Yorkshire
Newby Wiske, a village and a township in Kirby Wiske parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Wiske, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R., 4 miles S by W of Northallerton. There are a five-arched bridge over the river Wiske and a post office under Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, South Otterington. Acreage, 1430; population, 187. Newby Wiske Hall is the seat of the Rutson family.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newby Wiske are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: