Kingston, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Enne and the English Channel, 3½ miles SW of Modbury, and 7 S of Ivybridge station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Kingsbridge; money order and telegraph office, Modbury. Acreage, 2178 of land and 136 of water and foreshore; population of civil parish, 449; of ecclesiastical, 1213. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ermington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is good, and has a tower; it was restored in 1893. There is aWesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingston)
Online maps of Kingston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.