Newburgh, North Riding of Yorkshire
Newburgh, a township in Coxwold parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, near Crake Castle, 5 miles NNE of Easingwold, and half a mile from Coxwold station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Coxwold. Acreage, 2318; population, 138. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1145 by Roger de Mowbray, and had at the dissolution a revenue estimated at £458. William de Newburgh, the historian, was one of the canons. Newburgh Park Mansion occupies the site of the priory; includes a portion of the ancient buildings; belonged to the Fauconbergs; passed to the Wombwells through the second daughter of the last Earl Fanconberg; belongs now to the Wombwell family; was frequently visited by Sterne while incumbent of Coxwold; contains some interesting relics of Cromwell, some other curiosities, and some good family portraits; and stands in a finely wooded park. Remains of a Roman encampment and several tumuli are near the park.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: