Ness, East and West, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ness, East and West, a joint township, East Ness being in Hovingham parish, and West Ness in Stongrave parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire. East Ness stands on the river Rye. near the Roman road from Cleveland to Malton, 2½ miles NE of Hovingham, and 3½ from Slingsby station on the N.E.R. West Ness is 3 miles from Slingsby and 3 from Hovingham. Post town,York; money order office, Slingsby; telegraph office, Hovingham. Acreage, 1405; population, 95. The manor, with Ness Hall, belongs to the Kendall family. Limestone is worked, and Roman relics have been found. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: