Nawton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Nawton, a village and a township in Kirkdale parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2½ miles ENE of Helmsley, with a station on the N.E.R., and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Helmsley. The township comprises 1191 acres; population, 336. The manor belongs to the Frank family. Nawton Tower is a castellated mansion, stands on a rising ground, commands extensive views, is the property of the Earl of Feversham, and is now used as a shooting box. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nawton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: