Murton or Marton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Murton or Marton, a township in Osbaldwick parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles NE of York. Acreage, 844; population, 198. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Osbaldkirk. There is a small Wesleyan chapel. The chapel of ease is almost a ruin.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||York|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Murton or Marton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Murton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: