UK Genealogy Archives logo

Moxby, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Moxby, a hamlet in Marton-in-the-Forest or Marton-cum-Moxby parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 3½ miles ENE of Yarm station on the N.E.R. A Benedictine nunnery was founded by Henry II., and was given at the dissolution to the Archbishop of York.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishMarton in the Forest 
Poor Law unionEasingwould 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeBulmer 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Moxby from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Moxby are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

CountyNorth Yorkshire