Moulton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Moulton, a village and a township in Middleton Tyas parish, N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the Richmond and Darlington branch of the N.E.E., 5 miles NE by E of Richmond. There is a post office under Richmond; money order and telegraph office, Middleton Tyas. The township contains the hamlets of High Gatherley and Low Gatherley. Acreage, 3042; population, 235. Gatherley Castle is the seat of Lady de Burgh-Lawson. Moulton Hall and Morris Grange are chief residences; the former is a fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, and contains a carved oak staircase. There are a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Moulton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: