Kingskerswell or King's Carswell, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Newton Abbot, and has a station on the G.W.R., 212 miles from London. The parish contains also the hamlets of North Whilborongh and South Whilborough. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newton Abbot. Acreage, 1797; population, 1030. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Crown, passed to the families of De Molis, Courtenay, and Dynham, and with Barton Hall belongs now to the Brown family. Remains of an old mansion are near the church, and some Roman coins have been found on the neighbouring Down. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of St Marychurch. The church is Later English, with portions Decorated, has been well restored, has a tower, and contains three fine monuments to the Courtenays and the Dynhams. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Kerswell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kings Kerswell 1752-1837, Devonshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingskerswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kerswell, King's (St. Mary))
Online maps of Kingskerswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.