Middleton upon Leven, North Riding of Yorkshire
Middleton-upon-Leven, a township-chapelry in Rudby-in-Cleveland parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Leven, 4½ miles ESE of Yarm, and 4 from Potto station on the N.E.R. Post town, Yarm; money older and telegraph office, Hutton. Acreage of township, 1144; population, 73. The manor belongs to Viscount Falkland. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Rudby, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, is a small building, with a bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Rudby in Cleveland|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton upon Leven from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middleton-upon-Leven)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: