Middleton Tyas, North Riding of Yorkshire
Middleton Tyas, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3 miles NNW of Scorton station on the N.E.R., and 5½ NE of Richmond, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Richmond. The township includes Kneeton, and comprises 3202 acres; population, 474. The parish contains also the township of Moulton. Population, 709. Middleton Lodge, Morris Grange, Gatheriey Ca&tle, Moulton Hall, West Hall, and East Hall, are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £5 70 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is very ancient, has a chancel, nave, and aisles, and a tower with spire, and was restored in 1867. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Middleton-Tyas St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Middleton Tyas:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton Tyas from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middleton-Tyas (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Middleton Tyas are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: