Middleton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Middleton, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 1¼ mile NW of Pickering station on the N.E.R., and 9 miles from Malton. Acreage, 1720; population of township,264; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1419. The parish contains also the townships of Aislaby, Wrelton, Cawthorn, Hartoft, Cropton, and Lockton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Pickering. The manor belongs to the Mitchelson family. The living is a vicarage, with Cropton and Lockton annexed, in the diocese of York; net value. £180 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1885. There are chapels of ease at Cropton and Lockton, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: