UK Genealogy Archives logo

Melmerby (Wath), North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Melmerby, a village and a township in Wath parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the N.E.R., at the junction of the branch to Northallerton, 3¼ miles N by E of Ripon, with a station, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage of township, 1138; population, 252. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishWath 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHallikeld 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Melmerby (Wath) from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: