Kings Nympton, Devon
King's Nympton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Mole, 2¼ miles E of South Molton Road station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 N of Chulm-leigh. It has a post and money order office under Chulmleigh; telegraph office, South Molton. Acreage, 5554; population, 584. King's Nympton Park is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £860 with residence. The church is ancient, consists of nave, S aisle, N transept, and chancel, with tower and spire, and has a handsome carved oak screen. There are a chapel for Bible Christians and an endowed school with £12 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Nympton St. James|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Nympton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nympton, King's (St. James))
Online maps of Kings Nympton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.