Melbecks, North Riding of Yorkshire
Melbecks, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, formerly in Grinton parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 5 miles E of Muker, and 15 from Richmond station on the N.E.R. It contains the hamlets of Blaides, Barfend, Feetham, Kearton, Lodge Green, Low Row, Wintering Garths, Smarter, Dyke Heads, and Gunnerside, the last of which has a post and money order office under Richmond; telegraph office, Reeth. Acreage, 7974; population, 600. The ecclesiastical parish is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1841. Population, 830. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Grinton. The church is modern, and was restored in 1886. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and lead and stone are found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Melbecks:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Melbecks from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Melbecks)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: