Marton in the Forest or Marton cum Moxby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Marton-in-the-Forest or Marton-cum-Moxby (also known as Marton Lordship), a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Foss, and within the old forest of Galtree, 5½ miles WNW of Flaxton railway station, and 5 ESE of Easingwold. The township contains the hamlet of Moxby, and its post town and telegraph office is Easingwold; money order office, Stillington. Acreage, 2466; population of the township, 144; of the ecclesiastical parish, 320. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. An Augnstinian priory was founded at Marton in the time of King Stephen by Bertram of Bulmer, and a nunnery was founded at Moxby by Henry II. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Farlington, in the diocese of York; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church contains the original arch of the ancient church, but in its present form dates from about 1450; it was repaired and restored in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marton in the Forest or Marton cum Moxby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marton-in-the-Forest)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: