Marton (Sinnington), North Riding of Yorkshire
Marton, a village and a township in Sinnington parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Seven, 4½ miles W by S of Pickering, and about 1 mile from Sinnington station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order office, Sinnington; telegraph office, Kirkby Moorside. Acreage of township, 718; population, 141. A schoolroom is used fortnightly as a chapel of ease, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marton (Sinnington) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: