Marton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Marton, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Ormesby railway station, and 4 miles S by E of Middlesborough, and has a post and money order office (RS.O.); telegraph office, Normanby. The parish contains also the hamlets of Newham and Tollesby, and comprises 3519 acres, about half of which is in the borough of Middlesborough; population, 1183. The Parish Council Act divides the part in the borough of Middlesborough from the rural portion, the latter having five councillors. The manor belongs to the Bolckow family. Marton Hall is a chief residence, occupies a commanding site, and succeeded a previous-old edifice which was burnt in 1832. Gunnergate Hall and Tollesby Hall are also chief residences. A spot called Cook's. Garth was the site of the birthplace of the circumnavigator Cook, a two-roomed mud cabin, destroyed by a Major Rudd, and on a height in the neighbouring town ship of Easby stands a monument to Cook, an obelisk 51 feet high, erected in 1827. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is cruciform and Norman, and was restored in 1843. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial library and reading-room.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: