Marske (Guisborough), North Riding of Yorkshire
Marske, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, and on the Middlesbrough and Saltburn railway, 4½ miles NNE of Guisbrough, is frequented as a watering-place, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Marske-by-the-Sea (R.S.O.) The township has an area of 2116 acres of land, and 429 of foreshore; population, 4894. The increase of population, which has more than trebled since 1861, is due to the opening of iron-stone mines. The parish contains also the hamlet of New Marske, built by Messrs Pease & Partners, Limited, for their workmen. The parish council, under the Local Government Act 1894, consists of ten members. There are a chapel of ease, erected and opened in 1875, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at New Marske; also an institute built in 1875 by Messrs Pease for their workmen in the Upleatham mines. The manor, with Marsk Hall, belongs to the Marquis of Zetland. Cliff House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £192 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Zetland. The old church stands near the edge of a cliff at some distance from the village, was rebuilt (the original church was consecrated 800) in 1821, and is a neat small edifice with tower and spire, now used as a mortuary chapel. The new church of St Mark's stands on a site more convenient for the increasing population, was erected in 1866, with aid of a free site and at least £2000 from the late Earl of Zetland, and contains about 700 sittings. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 2653. Saltbnrn-by-the-Sea is a separate ecclesiastical parish constituted in 1873. Population, 2232. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a literary institute with library and a large hall for concerts, &c., and a cottage hospital. The father of Captain Cook, the circumnavigator, was interred in the old burying-gronnd.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marsk in Cleveland St. Germain|
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marske (Guisborough) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marsk in Cleveland (St. Germain))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marske (Guisborough) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: