Marske (Richmond), North Riding of Yorkshire
Marske, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the rivulet Marske, a little above its influx to the Swale, 4½ miles W of Richmond railway station, and has a post office under Richmond; money order and telegraph office, Richmond. The parish contains also the hamlet of Feldom Skelton,and comprises 6759 acres; population, 222. The property belongs to the Button family. Marske Hall is near the village, and the grounds contain an obelisk 60 feet high to the memory of Captain M. Button. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £298 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Edmund, is ancient, dating from about 1150, has a Norman doorway, and contains an old font. The charities include an endowed school, and amount to about £108 a year. Dr M. Hutton, Archbishop of York, purchased the Marske property in 1595.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marsk St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marske (Richmond) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marsk (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marske (Richmond) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: