Marrick, North Riding of Yorkshire
Marrick, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Swale, 6½ miles WSW of fiichmond railway station, and has a post office under Richmond; money order and telegraph office, Reeth. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hurst. Acreage, 6206; population, 246. The lead mines at Hurst, which are supposed to be the oldest in the country, are no longer worked. The manor belongs to the Morley family. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in 1165 by Roger de Aske; had seventeen nuns at the dissolution; and has left the nave of its church and several detached portions of other buildings, with architectural features of considerable interest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £120 with residence. The church is the nave of the old nunnery church, has a tower, and is in good condition. There is a chapel of ease in connection with the parish church of St Andrew. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marrick St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Marrick:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marrick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marrick (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marrick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: