Lythe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Lythe, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the coast, 1 mile from Sandsend station on the N.E.R., and 3¾ miles NW of Whitby; was once a market-town; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitby. The township comprises also the hamlets of Goldsborough and Kettleness and the village of Sandsend. Acreage, 2591 of land and 266 of foreshore; population of township, 741; of ecclesiastical parish, 873. The parish contains also the townships of Hutton Mulgrave, Bamby, Ugthorpe, Mickleby, Ellerby, Newton Mulgrave, Borrowby, and Egton. The manor belonged once to the Mauleys, and belongs now to the Marquis of Normanby. Mulgrave Castle, the Marquis' seat, is a handsome edifice in. The castellated style, stands on an elevated site, commanding fine views, and is surrounded by a very beautiful park. An ancient stronghold, whence the castle took its name, stood on a ridge of hill within the park; is said to have been built by the Saxon Wade or Wada, about 200 years before the Norman Conquest; was dismantled, by order of the parliament, in the time of Charles I.; and is now represented by ruins, comprising a central keep with corner towers, a square tower at the SE angle of the outer wall, two circular towers at the entrance, and some fragments of other walls. Wade, the builder of the old castle, is traditionally said to have been a giant, and to have made the road from Dunsley to Malton called Wade's Causeway. A lofty cliff at Kettle-ness, surmounted by a hamlet, became undermined, and on a night of December in 1829, fell into the sea. Alum works were at Kettleness and Sandsend for upwards of two centuries, but are no longer worked. Jet is found in the cliffs on the coast. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, with a tower, and has been greatly altered by modern restorations and repairs. It is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles. An organ was erected in 1881, and in 1887 the churchyard was enlarged. The vicarages of Egton, Ugthorpe, and Grosmont are separate benefices. There are Wesleyan chapels at Lythe and Sandsend, and mission churches at Kettleness and Sandsend.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lythe St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Lythe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lythe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lythe (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lythe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: