Lunedale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Lunedale, a township in Laithkirk ecclesiastical parish, Bomaldkirk parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Lune, 11 miles NW by W of Barnard Castle, and 4 from Mickleton station on the N.E.R. It contains the hamlets of Bowbank, Grassholrne, Laith, Thringarth, and Wemmergill. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Middleton-in-Teesdale. Acreage, 22,705 of. land and 65 of water; population, 357. The Earl of Strathmore is lord of the manor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and divine service is also held in the schoolroom.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Romald Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lunedale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lune-Dale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: