UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lockton, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Lockton, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Middleton parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SE of Levisham railway station, and 5 NE by N of Pickering, and has a post office under Pickering; money order and telegraph office, Pickering. Acreage of township, 7423; population, 352. Much of the land is moor. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Middleton in the diocese of York. The church is a small building in the Early English style. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishMiddleton 
RidingNorth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Lockton:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1689-19141757-19301710-19301713-1950

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lockton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lockton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online:

DistrictRyedale
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO18
Post TownPickering