Linthorpe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Linthorpe, a village and a township in Middlesborough parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, 3 miles E of Stockton-upon-Tees, and 1½ mile from Middlesborough station on the N.E.R., and is irregularly built, but prosperous. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.); telegraph office, Linthorpe Road. The greater part of the township is in the county borough of Middlesborough. Acreage, 187 0 of land and 287 of water; population, 25,341, of which 25,177 are in the county borough. The population has increased enormously during the last thirty years. There are large ironworks with several blast furnaces, and a tramway connects it with Middlesborough. There are also a chapel of ease, erected in 1874, several dissenting chapels, a workhouse, erected in 1878, a cemetery, and a fever hospital, built in 1874. See also MIDDLBSBOBOUGH.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Linthorpe:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Linthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: