Leeming, North Riding of Yorkshire
Leeming, a village and an ecclesiastical parish forming-part of the township and parish of Exelby, Leeming, and Newton, in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on Ermine Street, here called Leeming Lane, 1 mile SSE of a station of the name of Leeming Lane on the Northallerton and Leyburn railway, and 2 miles NE by E of Bedale. It has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Leeming Bar. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1880. Population, 528. The name Leeming signifies a stone-way, and alludes to the stone-paved Ermine Street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Burneston. The church is an edifice of red brick. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bedale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Leeming:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leeming from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Leeming)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Leeming are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: