Leake, North Riding of Yorkshire
Leake, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles NE of Otterington railway station, and 5½ SE of Northallerton, and anciently contained a flourishing town, which was destroyed about the time of the Conquest. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Thirsk. Acreage, 309; population, 6. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The parish contains also the townships of Borrowby, Crosby, Landmoth-with- Catto, and Knayton-with-Brawith, and the township-chapelry of Nether Silton. Acreage, 6561; population of the civil parish, 960; of the ecclesiastical, 964. An ancient mansion, the quondam seat of the Danby family, is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Nether Silton, in the diocese of York; gross value, £328. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. Several stone coffins, supposed to have been Saxon or Danish, have been exhumed in the churchyard.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Leake:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Leake are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: