Kentisbeare, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Culme, and 3½ miles NE by E of Collumpton station on the G.W.R. It has a fair on Whit-Wednesday; a post and money order office under Collumpton; telegraph office, Collumpton. Acreage, 4500; population, 812. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value,, £340 with residence. The church is of the 14th century; comprises nave, chancel, and S aisle, with W pinnacled tower, and contains a finely-carved screen, and monuments of the Walronds, the Eveleighs, and the Whitings. The building has been restored. There are a Baptist chapel, reading-room, and library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kentisbere St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1695.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: an old rood screen, coloured and gilt, and the rood loft stairs remain: in the south aisle is an altar tomb, on which, until Feb. 1858, were male and female brass effigies, the former being in armour; above the matrices is an inverted inscription to John Whytyng esq. ob. March 15, 1529, and Anne, his wife, and at the head and foot four shields, with the arms of Whytyng, Clivedon and Pauncefoot; the parclose between this aisle and the chancel retains traces of colour, and bears shields with the arms of Whytyng impaling or quartering other coats; one of the piers of the arcade also has shields of these arms, and another a merchant's mark and the letter "W"; in the same aisle is an altar tomb with inscription in brass and two shields to Mary (Wotton), wife first of Sir Henry Guyldeford K.G. and next of Sir Gawen Carew, ob, Sept. 13, 1558; the church was restored in 1866 at a cost of £1,300: in 1882 a reredos was erected as a memorial to Miss Alleyne by her father, the Rev. J. P. Alleyne M.A. rector 1854-85, and parishioners; at the same time the east window and another were filled with stained glass, some tile flooring in the chancel renewed and other improvements effected: in 1884 an organ was erected at a cost of £420 by Francis Radford esq. who also gave £600 more for its endowment: a brass to this benefactor was placed over the north door in 1900; a stained window was erected in 1888 by George Dennis esq. in memory of his wife: there are 420 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kentisbeare from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kentisbere (St. Mary))
Online maps of Kentisbeare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.