Lartington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Lartington, a village and a township in Romald Kirk parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the South Durham and Lancashire Union railway, near the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, 2 miles W by N of Barnard Castle, is a pretty place, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Darlington; money order office, Cotherstone; telegraph office, Barnard Castle. The township comprises 5436 acres, of which 19 are water; population, 175. Lartington Hall is the seat of the Witham family, standstill a well-wooded and pleasingly diversified park, has a very handsome Roman Catholic chapel adjoining the hall, and also an interesting museum and a fine collection of pictures. A chantry was founded here in the 15th century by the Fitzhughs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Romald Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lartington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lartington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: