Kennerley (anciently Kynwartlleigh), a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the river Creedy, 1½ mile NE of Copplestone station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 miles N by W of Crediton. Post town, Morchard Bishop. Acreage, 731; population, 83. The manor belongs to the Earl of Iddesleigh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £100 with residence. Patrons, the Governors of Crediton Charity. The church is ancient and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kennerleigh St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1645; marriages, 1696; burials, 1663.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, in the Later Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 3 bells; the first is plain but ancient; the second has a reversed inscription in unusual characters and the third is an alphabet bell; all three are cracked: the church was repaired and newly slated in 1847, the chancel being restored by the rector about the same time: a memorial window was afterwards inserted to the Rev. William Owen Tripp: in 1895 the interior of the church was restored, re-floored and re-seated at a cost of £350: there are 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kennerley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kennerleigh (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.