Laithkirk, North Riding of Yorkshire
Laithkirk, formerly a chapelry in Romaldkirk parish, now an ecclesiastical parish comprising the townships of Mickleton, Holwick, and Lune, in the N.R. Yorkshire, bounded on the W and N by Westmorland, and on the E by the river Tees, which separates it from Durham. The church and vicarage are half a mile SE of Middleton-in-Teesdale railway station, and 8¼ miles NW of Barnard Castle station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Middleton-in-Teesdale, under Darlington. The parish contains an area of 52 square miles, and forms the extreme northern portion of the county of York. Micklefell (2594 feet), the highest mountain in Yorkshire, and High Force, the celebrated waterfall on the Tees, are respectively just within its northern and eastern boundaries. Population, 1259. The Earl of Strath-more is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £153 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Romaldkirk.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Laithkirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Laith-Kirk)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: