Kirklington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kirklington, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Sinderby railway station, and 6½ miles SE of Bedale, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bedale. The township bears the name of Kirklington-with-Upsland, and comprises 1987 acres; population, 258. The parish contains also the townships of East Tanfield and Sutton Howgrave. Acreage, 3875; population, 393. There are the remains of a fine old hall of the Wandesfords, and vestiges of a camp supposed to be Roman or Danish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value,, £550 with residence. The church is ancient, was restored in 1859, and has a tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirklington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bedale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Kirklington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirklington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirklington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirklington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: