Kenn, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the Kenn rivulet, under Haldon Hill, 2½ miles SW of Exminster station on the G.W.R., and 4½ S by E of Exeter; was formerly called Kenne, and figures in old records as a borough. It has a post and telegraph office at Kennford; money order office, Alphington. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kennford; includes the isolated estate of Perridge, about 7 miles from the village; and comprises altogether 5330 acres. Population of the civil parish, 827; of the ecclesiastical, 839. The manor belonged formerly to the Courtenays, the Oxenhams, the Aclands, and others, and belongs now to Lord Haldon and the Ley family. Haldon Hill, noticed in our article HALDON, is partly within the parish. Haldon House, the seat of Lord Haldon, is a handsome edifice situated in a well-wooded park of about 220 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £670 with residence. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower, and contains a fine carved screen and an ancient font; the building was restored in 1889. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Kennford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kenn St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kenn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kenn (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Kenn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cKennford
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.