UK Genealogy Archives logo

Boxford, Berkshire

Historical Description

Boxford, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands on the river Lambourn, 4½ miles NW of Newbury station on the G.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newbury. The parish includes Westbrook tithing. Acreage, 2807 of land and 12 of water; population, 549. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £690 with residence. The church, a building of stone with a low western tower, was built about 1670. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBoxford St. Andrew 
HundredFaircross 
Poor Law unionNewbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.


Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a low embattled western tower of flint and brick, rebuilt about 1670 and containing 5 bells and a clock: in the church is a monument of clunch or hard chalk, inclosing a black marble slab inscribed to the Rev. James Anderton, rector here, who died in 1672: the north aisle was built in 1841 by the Rev. John Wells, then rector: the church was restored and reseated, and a new organ was erected in 1909 at a cost of £1,500: there are 270 sittings.

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel

There is a Wesleyan chapel.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Boxford was in Hungerford Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Boxford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Boxford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWest Berkshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRG20
Post TownNewbury