Kirk Leatham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kirk Leatham, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2½ miles from Marske station on the N.E.R. Post town, Kedcar; money order office, Coatham; telegraph office, Eedcar. The parish contains the small town of East Coatham and the hamlets of Yearby and West Coatham, and extends to the coast. Acreage, 4330, and 2307 acres of tidal water and foreshore; population, 4209. It is governed by a local board formed, in 1877. The ecclesiastical parish comprises the village of Kirk Leatham and the hamlets of West Coatham and Yearby only. Population, 528. East Coatham was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1860. Population, 3681. Kirk Leatham Hall belonged to the Turners, and passed to the Vansittarts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £137 with residence. The church is a handsome structure, with roof supported by six Tuscan columns, has a tower, and contains a statue of John Turner, dated 1688, and several brasses. A splendid mausoleum, erected in 1740 by Cholmley Turner to the memory of his son, adjoins the E end of the church, and the tomb of Sir Charles Turner, the last of the family, is near. Kirk Leatham Hospital, founded in 1676 by Sir William Turner for forty poor persons, stands near the parish church, includes a highly decorated chapel with arched roof supported by Ionic columns, and also a library 60 feet long with about 3000 volumes, contains among other curiosities a waxen effigy of the founder with his wig and band, and has an endowed income of about £1500. Under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners in 1886 the number of inmates was reduced by one half. A grammar school, founded in 1700 by Sir Wm. Turner, has been removed to East Coatham. It has an endowed income of £300 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirk-Leatham St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirk Leatham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirk-Leatham (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: