Kirby Sigston or Sigston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kirby Sigston or Sigston, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on Cod Beck, 3 miles E by N of Northallerton railway station, and has a post office under Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, Northallerton. Acreage, 1242; population, 84 The parish contains also the township of Winton, with Stank and Halli-keld, and the township of Sowerby-under-Cotcliffe, also the hamlet of Foxton. Acreage, 3420; population of the civil parish, 214; of the ecclesiastical, 232. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £483 with residence, Kirby-under-Dale, a village, a township, and a parish in the E. B. Yorkshire. The village stands near a rapid declivity of the Wolds, 5½ miles NE of Fangfoss railway station, and 7 N by W of Pocklington, and has a post office under York; money order office, Bishop Wilton; telegraph office, Stamford Bridge. The parish contains also the hamlets of Garrowby, Uncleby, Painsthorpe, and Hanging Grim-ston. Acreage, 5125; population, 297. Nearly the whole of the parish belongs to Viscount Halifax. Several hills diversify the surface, and one of them, flanking the plain of York, has an altitude of about 800 feet above sea-level. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £724 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building in the Norman style, with an embattled W tower, and was thoroughly restored and a new chancel built in 1871. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: