Kirby in Cleveland, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kirby-in-Cleveland, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies under Wain-stone Hill, near the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 2 miles SSE of Stokesley. Post town, Northallerton.. Area of township, 1708 acres; population, 237. The parish-contains also the township of Broughton, and comprises 4799 acres; population, 741. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; tithe rent charge commuted at £339. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1815 on the site of a small ancient cruciform structure, and has a tower. There is an elementary school erected in 1873 on. The site of a grammar school founded in 1708.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirkby-in-Cleveland St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirby in Cleveland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirkby-in-Cleveland, or Kirkby-cum-Broughton (St. Augustine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: