Kilton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kilton, a township in Brotton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 6¼miles NE of Guisbrough, and 1½ mile from Worksop station on the M.S. & L.R. and M.R. Post town, Brotton (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1665; population, 412. The manor belongs to the Wharton family. A castle was built here in the time of King Stephen by Robert de Bruce, and passed to the Thwengs, but little now remains of it.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: