Kildale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Kildale, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles E by N of Stokesley, with a station on the N.E.R, and a post and money order office under Grosmont; telegraph office, at the railway station. Acreage, 5192; population, 223. Much of the land is moor and mountain. An old castle of the Percys was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £136 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1868, in the room of a Saxon one, and has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kildale St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Kildale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kildale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kildale (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kildale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: