Ingleby Greenhow, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ingleby Greenhow, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland branch of the N.E.R., and on a headstream of the river Leven, under the Cleveland Hills, 4½ miles ESE of Stokesley, with a station at Ingleby, and a post and money order office under Middlesboro'; telegraph office, Great Ayton. The parish contains also Greenhow and Battersby. Acreage, 7002; population, 453. lugleby Manor is the seat of Lord De L'lsle and Dudley. Nearly one-third of the land is moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, , £124 with residence. Patron, Lord De L'lsle and Dudley, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The church is an ancient building, and there are some very interesting Norman work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingleby-Greenhow St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Ingleby Greenhow:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingleby Greenhow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ingleby-Greenhow (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ingleby Greenhow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: