Ingleby Arncliffe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ingleby Arncliffe, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles from Welbury station on the N.E.R., and 8 NE of Northallerton; containing the villages of Ingleby and Ingleby Cross, the latter with a post office under Northallerton; money order office, Swainby; telegraph office, Osmotherley. Acreage, 1893; population, 279. The manor, with Arncliffe Hall, belongs to the Brown family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £40. The church has a tower, and was rebuilt about 1820. The chancel contains two ancient recumbent monuments belonging to the Colville family. The E window (Perpendicular) and W door (Norman) are from the older church. The chalice, dated 1572, is very fine. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingleby Arncliffe St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Ingleby Arncliffe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingleby Arncliffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Arncliffe, Ingleby (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ingleby Arncliffe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: