Sheriff Hutton with Cornbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hutton, Sheriff, with Cornbrough, a village, a township, and parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence of the edge of the Vale of York, 8 miles NW by N of Flaxton station on the N.E.R., and 10 NNE of York, and has a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Strensall. The township includes also the hamlet of Cornbrough, and comprises 5352 acres; population, 795. The parish contains also the townships of Stitten-ham and Lillings Ambo. The manor belonged, in the time of Stephen, to Bertram de Bulmer, passed by marriage to the Nevilles, who became Earls of Westmorland and Warwick; went after the battle of Bamet to the Crown, was then given to Eichard Dnke of Gloucester, afterwards Richard III.; passed afterwards through various hands, and belongs now to the Ingrain family and a number of small freeholders. A castle was built on it by Bertram de Bulmer, was rebuilt and greatly enlarged by Ralph de Neville the first Earl of Westmorland, who figures in Shakespeare's " King Henry IV.;" was seized by Edward IV. after the battle of Bamet, became the prison of Edward Plantagenet under Eichard III. till the battle of Bosworth, and was the prison also of the Princess Elizabeth, afterwards queen of Henry VII. Euins of the castle, in several detached but stately pieces, still exist, and comprise remains of three corner towers, one of them nearly 100 feet high. A moat surrounded the castle, and about one-quarter of it still remains. The prefix Sheriff, in the name of the place, was derived from Bertram de Bulmer, who was high-sheriff of the county in the reign of Stephen. Sheriff Hutton Park and Lilling Hall are chief residences. A hiring fair for servants is held on the second Wednesday "before Martinmas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, JE318 with residence. The church is chiefly of the middle of the 13th century, but has some windows so late as the time of Elizabeth; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, transept, and tower, contains a brass of 1491 and two interesting altar-tombs, and was restored in 1837-38. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a small endowed school, and charities worth £'26 yearly.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: