Hutton Magna, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hutton Magna, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1½ mile S of the river Tees, 4 miles S by W of Winston station on the N.E.R., and, 6½ SE by E from Barnard Castle. The township contains also the hamlet of Lane Head, and comprises 1305 acres; population, 164. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the township of West Layton. Population, 230. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Aid-borough. The manor belongs to the Constable family, who are chief landowners. Lime is worked, The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £142 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Gilling. The church was built in 1878, and consists of nave and chancel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-Magnum)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: