Hutton Lowcross or Hutton Locras, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hutton Lowcross or Hutton Locras, a township in Guisbrough parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile SW of Guis-brongh station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Guisbrough. Acreage, 1569; population, 250. A lazar hospital was founded here by William de Bemaldby and given to Guisbrough Priory. A Cistercian nunnery also was founded here by Ralph de Neville, but was later removed to Nunthorpe, and substructions have been ploughed up at different times. The ham-pits of an ancient British village likewise are here, from 8 to 12 feet deep, from 60 to 100 yards in circumference, and extending in irregular lines for about 2 miles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton Lowcross or Hutton Locras from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-Locras)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: