Ipplepen, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3½ miles SSW of Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R., was anciently known as Ipplepine, had once a market and a fair, dating from 1317, and has a post and money order office under Newton Abbot; telegraph office, Newton Abbot. The parish contains also the hamlets of Daignton and Coombe Fishacre. Acreage, 2887; population of the civil parish, 856; of the ecclesiastical, 882. The scenery is beautiful and romantic, abounds in tors or rocky heights, and includes a small valley called Stony Coombes, with several subterranean rivulets. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient but good, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, has a tower 100 feet high commanding a view of thirteen different church towers, and contains a fine carved oak pulpit and a beautiful carved oak screen; in 1883 a new organ was placed in an organ loft then erected. There is a Wesleyan chapel. There was anciently a cell to St Pierre Fougeres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ipplepen St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Ipplepen 1612-1813, Devonshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1558, and a list of vicars from the year 1274.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a large and ancient fabric of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of six arches, south porch and a massive embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, of which the first four date from 1799, and the remaining two respectively from 1795 and 1818: the aisles have embattled parapets and a small tower at each angle: the three chancel windows have been filled with stained glass, the east being a memorial to members of the Raynes family, and the north and south to the Robinson family. There is an ancient rood screen of exquisite design, beautifully restored, at a cost of £500, in 1898, and two parclose: the rood loft stairs also remain, and a pulpit of richly-carved oak: the chancel retains a piscina and aumbry, and a stoup remains in the porch: the font is Early Perpendicular, and has a panelled basin with carved figures: there are many mural monuments to members of the Studdy, Shepherd, Neyle and Raynes families: in 1883 a new organ was placed in an organ loft then erected, at a cost of £200, the western gallery being removed: the church was partially restored in 1892 at a cost of £1,000, raised by subscription: the communion plate includes a chalice, supposed to be coeval with the erection of the church: there are 340 sittings. The churchyard is entered through east and west lych-gates, and facing the south door of the church is a massive cross on a granite pedestal, restored in 1902 as a memorial to men from this parish who fell in the Boer war, 1899-1902.
The Wesleyan chapel, erected, with adjoining schools, in 1866, at a cost of £2,000, is a building of limestone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, and has sittings for 600 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ipplepen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ipplepen (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Ipplepen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCastleford
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.