Hutton Bushel, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hutton Bushel, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a hill, near Forge Valley, about half a mile from Wykeham station on the N.E.E., and 6 miles SW of Scarborough, is an ancient place, and has a post office under York; money order office, West Ayton; telegraph office, Brompton. The township comprises 3764 acres; population, 405. The parish contains also the township of West Ayton, and comprises 6099 acres; population, 796. The manor belonged anciently to the Buscels, who followed William the Conqueror, and belongs now to Viscountess Downe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £383 with residence. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is ancient but good, has an embattled tower, and contains monuments of the Osbaldestons. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hutton-Buscel St. Matthew|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton Bushel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-Buscel (St. Matthew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: