Hunton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hunton, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Patrick Brompton parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles N of Finghall Lane railway station, and 6 NW by W of Bedale, and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Newton-le-Willows. The township comprises 1910 acres; population, 322. The manor belongs to the Cowell family. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Patrick Brompton in the diocese of Ripon; net joint value, £230. Patron, the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St John, was rebuilt in 1794 and restored in 1892. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: