Huntington, North Riding of Yorkshire
Huntington, two villages, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The villages are East Huntington and West Huntington, and they stand on the river Foss, three-quarters of a mile from Earswick station on the N.E.R., and 3 miles NNE of York. The township includes the villages, has a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, York; and comprises 3018 acres; population, 635; of the ecclesiastical parish, 876. The parish contains also the townships of Earswick and Towthorpe. Population, 950. The manor belongs to the Vyner family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £130. The church is ancient, and was thoroughly restored 'in 1874. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a reading-room established in 1884, and a fever hospital for the city of York erected in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huntington All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Huntington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huntington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huntington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: