Hunderthwaite, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hunderthwaite, a village and a township in the parish of Romaldkirk, N.R. Yorkshire. The village is 5½ miles NW of Bamard Castle, and 1 mile from Boroaldkirk station on the N.E.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Romaldkirk. The township of Hunderthwaite extends from the river Tees on the E to the border of Westmorland on the W. Acreage, 6289; population, 409. It is divided from the township of Cotherstone by the river Balder, on the upper waters of which the Stockton and Middlesborough Water Company are forming three extensive reservoirs, works of great engineering skill, for the water supply of those towns. The northern half of Baldersdale lies in this township. It contains also the hamlet of Hury, and small groups of farmhouses at Thorngarth Hill, Newhouses, and Birkhat. Wodencroft, on the Tees, was at one time one of the Yorkshire schools immortalized by Charles Dickens.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Romald Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hunderthwaite from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hunderthwaite)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: